Friday, November 1, 2013

What did I expect?

November Journaling Challenge: Day 1
Prompt: Today focus on using each of your senses. Describe in detail what they notice.

The rough bark of the oak tree reaches upward 90 feet. As I strain my neck to see the crown, I feel a twinge from an old surgery.

I hear no wind this morning, and few leaves cover the ground. I lean my back against the trunk, seating myself on a patch of moss, and settle into a nap.

A blast of cold air wakes me and shakes a thousand leaves from the tree. My outstretched legs are covered, and still leaves fall.

The wind slaps a large one onto my face, covering nose and mouth. I can smell the decay of autumn. Sheepishly, I poke the leaf with my tongue, curious about its taste. What did I expect? Pumpkin pie, apple fritter, an oak leaf cobbler?

No comments:

Post a Comment